Stress is inevitable!
Everyone will experience stress to some degree as we journey through life. However, during times of overwhelming stress, it is not uncommon for many of us to experience symptoms of anxiety, depression, or burn-out.
While it may be a mild or temporary occurrence, it can be more concerning (pathological) when it becomes an ongoing and debilitating experience that affects all aspects of your life, including your health, energy, relationships, work, everyday functioning and enjoyment of life.
Dr. Freda Tam, ND is very experienced in treating patients with a variety of mental-emotional health concerns, including:
- Panic attacks
- Fatigue & malaise
- Insomnia (difficulty falling or staying asleep)
- Brain fog, poor memory & concentration
- ADD / ADHD
- Addictions (ie. smoking, food, etc.)
What causes Anxiety & Depression or other mood disturbances?
Mood changes like Anxiety and Depression are actually symptoms of an underlying imbalance in the mind and/or body. Some of the common underlying factors that can negatively affect your moods include:
- Adrenal (stress) gland dysfunction (fight/flight response)
- Hypothyroidism (low thyroid function)
- Food sensitivities & allergies
- Poor digestion
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Poor diet
(ie. nutrient deficient, high in sugars, refined flours,
processed foods & inflammatory fats)
- Dysbiosis (gut bacteria imbalances)
– there is a significant gut-brain connection!
- Methylation dysfunction (high homocysteine test)
– an important process required to make neurotransmitters (ie. serotonin)
- Medication side-effects
- Ineffective stress management
The conventional approach to mental health issues is often pharmaceutical interventions (ie. anti-anxiety drugs, antidepressants, etc.), which can temporarily help you get through acute phases or particularly stressful periods.
However, long-term use of these medications can have harmful side effects and increase your tolerance and dependence to them.
How can Naturopathic Medicine help me heal?
Dr. Tam, ND will work closely with you to help determine and address what might be causing the imbalance in your moods, and balance out the effects of stress. She has worked with many patients toward improving their mood concerns, and reducing or eliminating their dependence on medications. We offer a variety of safe and effective naturopathic treatment solutions that can be used alongside pharmaceutical therapy, including:
- Support adrenal glands
(to improve the body’s stress response)
- Neuro Emotional Technique (NET)
- Identify possible food sensitivities
- Correct nutrient deficiencies
(ie. B vitamins, magnesium, etc.)
- Herbs & Homeopathy
- Diet & lifestyle modification
- Build healthy stress management strategies
Dr. Tam, ND has additional training in "Neuro Emotional Technique (NET)", which is a gentle mind-body technique to help provide quick relief from the effects of unresolved stress in the body.
We also have a network of mental health professionals to refer you to if you need additional support.
When your stress and emotions start to affect your quality of life and health, it is important to dig deeper and seek help to determine the reasons for the imbalance.
As we treat the whole person, the ultimate goal is to help you feel your best, as well as to heal the reasons for the imbalance, and make things more manageable for you in the long run.
Contact us to find out how we can help!